(Amended January 1, 2020)
Forsyth Home Educators, Inc. (FHE) is a Christian homeschool support group serving Forsyth County, North Carolina, and surrounding areas. For purposes of this document, “homeschool” is defined by the the North Carolina General Statutes 115C-563.
FHE is a diverse and inclusive group, and welcomes members regardless of ethnicity, faith, or marital status who agree to respect the Christian principles in the Statement of Faith (see Article VI) and abide by the Standards of Conduct as approved by the Board.
In the event that FHE dissolves, all assets shall be distributed to a charitable or religious corporation that is exempt under Internal Revenue Code §501(c)(3) or any successor section.
Article I: Name
The name of this organization is Forsyth Home Educators, Inc. (FHE).
Article II: Purpose
FHE purposes to help new and continuing home educators by:
- helping and encouraging parents to fulfill their God-given rights and responsibilities to educate their own children;
- providing direction to information on the legal aspects of home education (e.g., contact information for the North Carolina General Statutes, North Carolina Division of Non-Public Education, North Carolinians for Home Education, Home School Legal Defense Association);
- providing information on curricula and other resource materials;
- providing timely information about FHE events;
- offering peer support, encouragement, and networking opportunities to families choosing home education for their children;
- promoting growth and education for the whole person—mind, body, and spirit; and G. promoting home education as an excellent educational alternative.
Article III: Ideals of Home Education
FHE holds that the ideals of home education are:
- the parents’ God-given authority over their children and responsibility for their education and discipline;
- educational excellence;
- protection and promotion of the family;
- diligence in moral and ethical instruction;
- responsible citizenship; and
- freedom of choice among educational alternatives.
Article IV: Membership
- All those wishing to become members of FHE must agree (by submitting the membership form online OR signing the annual membership form) to:
- respect Christian principles AND
- honor the ideals of home education AND
- abide by the Standards of Conduct as established by the Board.
- Membership is offered on a household basis.
- Membership is available on two levels—Full and Sports Affiliate.
- To qualify for Full Membership, applicants must:
- live in Forsyth County or any bordering county (i.e., Davidson, Davie, Guilford, Rockingham, Stokes, Surry, or Yadkin) AND
- have child(ren) who is/are:
- all pre-compulsory school age OR
- currently enrolled in a homeschool that is registered with DNPE and/or in full compliance with North Carolina homeschooling law OR
- graduated from homeschooling.
- OR be grandparents of children who are homeschooled in Forsyth County or any bordering county AND
those grandchildren must currently be enrolled in a homeschool that is registered with DNPE and/or in full compliance with North Carolina homeschooling law
- Sports Affiliate Membership is available to those who do not qualify for Full Membership, but wish to participate in FHE Sports. Sports Affiliate members must:
- Have child/children who is/are currently enrolled in a homeschool that is registered with DNPE and/or in full compliance with North Carolina homeschooling law AND
- Do not reside in Forsyth County or any bordering county (i.e., Davidson, Davie, Guilford, Rockingham, Stokes, Surry, or Yadkin)
- The following benefits are provided to Full Members:
- A monthly newsletter published from August through May
- Participation in general FHE activities (e.g., social events)
- participation in FHE-sponsored student enrichment or extra-curricular activities (e.g., FHE Sports, academic competitions, enrichment co-ops)
- membership directory (unless choosing to be excluded from print)
- right to nominate and vote for Board members
- right to submit and vote on proposed amendments to the by-laws (see Article VII)
- Access to the members-only portion of the website 8. Discounts for select activities open to non-members
- The following benefits are provided to Sports Affiliate Members:
- Participation in FHE Sports
- Access to the public portion of FHE’s website
- Annual membership dues will be payable beginning July 1 (along with a completed membership form) and will provide for membership through the following June 30. The cost of dues and possible pro-rated charge for memberships joined after January 1 will be determined each spring by the Board. Membership dues are nonrefundable. Hardship scholarships for membership dues may be approved by the Board.
- Membership levels and membership benefits can be modified with a board vote of two-thirds (2/3).
- Membership may be revoked by a two-thirds (⅔) vote of the Board upon violation by the member of the Standards of Conduct or any other written provision approved by the Board.
Article V: Board
- The Board is the primary governing body of FHE.
- The Board will consist of seven Full members—four by title (President, Administrative Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary) and three at-large.
- Full members seeking election to the Board must meet the following additional criteria:
- FHE Full member in good standing for most recent full school year (i.e., July 1- June30) AND
- have homeschooled during two most recent full school years OR graduated homeschoolers AND
- sign FHE’s Statement of Faith (see Article VI) prior to name being placed on the ballot.
- Balloting for Board positions shall be conducted each May. Votes will be tallied by two Full members who are not running for Board positions. Board members will be approved by a simple majority of returned ballots.
- Board members will serve for one full school year. There will be no term limits. Midterm vacancies will be filled by Board appointment.
- A Board member must resign if s/he no longer meets the qualifications of Full Membership (see Article IV, Sections A and D) or Board membership (see Section C above).
- The Board may remove a Board member by two-thirds (⅔) vote. H. The Board shall appoint committees as necessary for the operation of FHE. All committees must be re-approved each year.
- Business of the Board will only be conducted when a quorum is present. A quorum shall consist of two-thirds (2/3) of the board members. Two-thirds (2/3) of the full board must be in agreement for a vote to pass.
Article VI: Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible is the inspired word of God and is inerrant and infallible in the original writings. (II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:21)
- We believe in the Trinity—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Genesis 1:1–2; John 1:1, 10:30, 37–38)
- We believe that the Father created the heavens and the earth and everything in them. (Genesis 1:1–31)
- We believe by the miracle of the virgin birth that the Lord Jesus Christ, eternal Son of God, became man without ceasing to be God, in order to reveal God and to redeem man, that He died for our sins and rose bodily from the dead for our justification. We believe He now is exalted at the right hand of God, that He is the Head of the Church, the Lord of the individual believer, that He is ministering as our Great High Priest and Advocate. We are awaiting His bodily return. (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:18–23; Luke 1:35; John 1:14, 18; Hebrews 4:14–15, 7:25–27; Romans 4:25; Acts 1:11; Ephesians 1:20–23)
- We believe that the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ and that He reproves the world of sin, regenerates the believing sinner, and baptizes him into the Body of Christ. (John 16:7–8, 13–15; Titus 3:5–6; I Corinthians 12:12–13)
- We believe that man was created in the image of God, but that he sinned, incurring not only physical death, but also spiritual death, which is separation from God. (Genesis 1:27, 2:16–17; Romans 5:12–14)
- We believe that salvation is the free gift of God to be received only by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and by which we are restored to eternal life. (John 3:16, 5:24, 11:25; Romans 5:15–21; Ephesians 2:8–10)
- We believe that the true Church is composed of all who have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and thereby constitutes a spiritual unity of believers, the Body of Christ. (Romans 8:9–11; I Corinthians 12:12–13; Galatians 3:26–28)
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, and in the final judgment. (John 5:28–29)
Article VII: Amending By-Laws
- Proposed amendments must be submitted in writing to the Board.
- Proposed amendments must be published in the newsletter for two consecutive issues (within one school year) prior to a ballot for approval or rejection.
- Proposed amendments will be accepted upon the approval of two-thirds (⅔) of the returned ballots